After walking around Lidl (usually my favourite super market) for 30mins+ and we still didn’t have any idea what to cook we were both getting a bit edgy. The thing with Lidl it really does have great bargains but it tends to sell things in bulk – not ideal when we have minimal space, and the range is very little (Lidl?) so a lot of your meal ideas disintegrate when you can not find the ingredients. Anyway, we finally settled on tabbouleh with chickpeas, great for protein and carbo loading for the much anticipated 170km run around Mont Blanc in the next coming days.
Bunch of fresh parsley, bBunch of fresh mint, 1 cucumber, 6 spring onions or 1 red onion, 4 large tomatoes (finely chopped), juice of 2 lemons, 5 tablespoons olive oil, 1 can of chickpeas (400g), 1 garlic clove (minced), 1 cup bulgur wheat, 1 aubergine, 1 courgette, 1 cube of chicken stock, 1 cup of boiled water, 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1. Add one cup of boiled water and chicken stock cube to one cup of bulgar wheat in a small bowl and mix. Place a tea towel over the bowl so the steam is unable to escape. Set aside until cool.
2. Finely chop the parsley, onions, cucumber, and tomatoes. Place them into your separate large salad bowl.
3. Fry aubergine and and courgette, use olive oil, pepper and salt to season
4. Lightly fry the chickpeas with a finely chopped garlic, lemon juice and a teaspoon of olive oil. Add to sugar wheat mix.
5. Juice all the fresh lemons and pour it over the salad mixture. Add olive oil, black pepper and salt in the salad mixture. Mix well.
6. Add chickpeas and bulgar wheat to the salad. Mixing well.
7. Serve the tabbouleh with sliced aubergine and courgette on top.